Tuesday, August 14, 2012

10 years ago

10 years ago today, I went on my first date with my husband.  i wouldn't ordinarily remember the exact date (since my memory is just AWFUL) but that sweet man tore the little calendar page out and kept it in the visor of his truck.  and when he bought a new truck, he moved it to the new one. and when he bought another new truck, guess what? it got put in the box of all the million things that come out of your truck when you are at the dealership dropping it off for the last time and hasn't ever been unpacked. but that date is stuck forever. 

i remember i was nervous.  i was about to begin my first year of teaching and had come straight from my new teacher orientation in a professional-ish black dress and jean jacket.  i wanted to change into something "cool". don't know what that was...but i didn't get time. we were meeting at a friend's house and he beat me there. he told me once that i looked beautiful getting out of my car in my "teacher clothes". he said he knew we would love me.

we went on a double date with our sweet friends who had set us up.  david and chris worked together. isn't it funny how someone mentions to you they have a friend they think you ought to meet and it turns out to be the love of your life?  right there in your own town.  

we went to the same high school and i wouldn't have given him the time of day back then.  he was a jock and i was a nerd.  (haha.  those labels. i still classify people that way. lame.) but wait a couple years and people work. 

dinner was nothing super special. but it just felt right. 

august 14, 2002.  10 years ago.  i've had 5 cars since then (how is that even possible??). this is our fourth house together. i've moved classrooms 4 times. (enough with the moving already!!) 3 dogs and 2 cats later.  2 kids. sadness.  happiness.  we often say the same thing at the same time.  and then look at each other, like "hey!??! that's what I was going to say?!" we are soul  mates. he is my love. 

i'm sure glad for these 10 years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment